Balneary treatments all year round. The richness of the mineral (moffete gas, mineral waters) and natural resources (sub alpine climate, strongly ozoned air, rich in negative ions) offers a maximal efficiency treatment, unique in Europe.
Natural Cure Factors
Covasna is one of richest resorts in natural mineral waters in our country with a great variety of its physical-chemical compositions.
The mineral waters here are carbonaceous, bicarbonate, chlorosodic, and iodinated and brominates, ferruginous, arsenical or slightly sulfurous, with a total mineralization of 3,2 - 22,4 g/l, very rich in carbonic acid of volcanic origin (2,5 g/l).
Another natural cure factor peculiar to the resort are the mofettes - emanations of natural gases, mainly carbon dioxide, used especially in the treatment of cardiovascular, locomotors, dermatological, metabolically affections or nervous system.
The natural mofettic gas of Covasna, containing 80 - 98% carbon dioxide, has a vasodilating effect, lowering the arterial tension, being thus salutary for the heart and the peripheral circulation.
The mofettes are to be found in the health center of the hotels. The natural moffetes and the mineral waters offer the unicity of the health
product and tourists call them "healing labs".
Another important natural cure factor is sparing bio climate, with a less exciting effect on the central and vegetative nervous system as well as on the glands with internal secretions.
The variety of its natural cure factors combined with others medical methods offers the possibility of simultaneous treatment of more affections, which gives the complexity of Covasna.
The effects of natural moffetes and mineral carbon water:
- increase the dilatation of blood vessels, increase the muscular and cerebral blood flow with 50-75%
- reduce arterial hypertension
- increase the temperature of body extremities
- pain reducer, smoothing effect produce a new repartition of de blood through the body, empties the viscera's and accumulates the blood in the skin and in the vital organs etc.
The therapy programs are monitorised by qualified medical personnel and include 3 or more of the following procedures: warm bath in natural
mineral water, moffetes (therapy with natural dry carbon gas), electro-physiotherapy (ultrasounds, ultra waves, diadinamics, magnetodiaflux, galvanic bath), hydro-termotherapy (massage shower, underwater massage, paraffin packing, jacuzzi), inhalations and aerosols, dry massage,
The effective recommended period for the treatment session is 18 days.
Doctors prescribe the procedures according to individual pacients' affections, based on the results of regular analysis (blood, EKG, lung-Röentgen, urine).
On the first day the pacients have a medical examination and another one after 3 days or whenever is necessary.
GEROVITAL cure is also available, by request.
TREATMENT INDICATIONS - COVASNA
- Artheriopaties: peripheral occlusive atherosclerotic disorders in stage I and II, after surgery
- Thromboangiitis Obliterates (Buerger's disease)
- Ischemic chronic cardiopaty: effort angina, stable angina pectoris, myocardial infarction - second stage of treatment after the acute episode, without rhythm disorders or unstable angina, after regaining the hemodynamic balance; myocardial ischemic chronic disorder, with E.C.G. ischemic changes and branch blocking.
- Arterial hypertension, stage I and II
- Valvular heart diseases: valvular disorders caused by rheumatic diseases without clinical hemodynamic disorders
valvular heart disorders after surgery, without clinical and hemodynamic significant disorders, 3 months after the surgery (with the recommendation of the cardiologist, who should decide the timing of the balneary treatment).
- Post- cerebro-vascular accident state and disabilities - mostly of thrombosis nature- when patients are stable
- Venous chronic diseases: thrombophlebitis complications
2. Skin disorders
psoriasis, chronic eczema's, allergic skin disorders, neurodermatitis.
3. Gastrointestinal disorders
(internal cure): chronic erosive or non-erosive gastritis, gastric ulcer, postgastrectomy gastritis, duodenal recurrent ulcer, chronic inflammatory diseases of the bowel, functional bowel disorders, chronic enterocolitis, gastrointestinal dyspepsia, disorders consequent to epidemic hepatitis, postoperative biliary disorders, biliary duct diskynezia, biliary calculus.
4. Endocrine disorders
Basedow disease, hyperthyroidism, low functioning of the parathyroid and of the endocrine system.
5. Musculoskeletal disorders
- inflammatory articulate disorders
- allergic articulate and abarticular disorders with rheumatic
- infectious affections (general or - specific: tonsils, ear, sinuses, teeth) or toxic (professional, alimentary or drug induced) - rheumatoid arthritis; spondylitis ankylosing osteoarthrosis
- lombar disk syndrome, cervical and toraco- lombar spondylosis
- osteitis and osteoperiostitis; apophisitis and epiphisitis
- osteomalacia and osteochondrosis.
6. Genitourinary disorders
- chronic glomerulonephritis; simple secondary albuminuria
- infectious chronic pyelonephritis; urolithiasis; chronic inflammation of the lower urinary tract (cystitis, urethritis, pyelocystitis).
7. Neurological disorders
- peripheral nervous system disorders (nerve root disorders, polyneuropathy, post traumatic nervous system disorders)
- central nervous system disorders (after cerebral vascular accidents, asthenia or neurotic disorders).
8. Professional diseases
- chronically professional diseases caused by physical agents
- professional skin disorders due to physical agents.
TREATMENT CONTRAINDICATIONS - COVASNA
- myocardial infarction with complications and severe evolution in the acute stage
- myocardial ischemic disease with recurrent and frequent crisis
- myocardial ischemic disorder not associated with pain but with severe arrhythmia conduction defects or low heart functioning
- valvular heart diseases with recent evolution, low functioning or thrombo- embolic accidents
- some valvular diseases like mitral stenosis, aortic stenosis, plurivalvular lesions
- essential arterial hypertension stage III or with complications
- cardiomyopathy, no matter its cause
- cerebral atherosclerotic disease with psychic disorders
- cerebral thrombotic accidents with important neurological impairment.
- acute fever episodes and chronic diseases in acute stages
- infectious diseases in contagious stage till the end of the isolation period
- sexually transmitted diseases in the contagious stage (gonorrhoea, syphilis)
- carriers of pathogenic bacteria (streptococcus haemolytic, AgHB, etc)
- severe weakness of the body (cashexia) no matter its cause
- malign tumours, no matter their form, location or evolution stage
- recurrent and severe bleeding of any form
- abnormal pregnancy of any form and normal pregnancy after the first 3 months
- haematological or system diseases with major general state changes ( anaemia, leukaemia, lymphomas,etc)
- carriers of germs or parasites
- personality disorders with social behaviour disorders
- chronic alcoholism with neuropsychic disorders, drug dependencies
- patients close to organic decompensation (diabetes resistant to treatment )
- skin diseases potentially contagious or with severe un-esthetical lesions
- acute myocardial, kidney or liver low functioning
- patients lacking autonomy.
... by coach to tourist objectives such as:
- Lake Sf. Ana (volcanic origin)
- Bran Castle (known abroad as Dracula's castle)
- Sinaia - Peles Castle (ex-royal residence)
- Bicaz Gorges
- Brasov - old town and Black Church.