Located at 260 m altitude, in Jiblea - Calimanesti Depression, which is situated at the foot of the Carpathians, on the right side of the Olt River. This is the place where the river goes out of the Meridional Carpathians.
Mineral waters of Calimanesti - Caciulata were used since the Roman times. Romans built here fortifications and baths.
Caciulata and Calimanesti are documentary attested in 1388.
The mineral waters had also been used by Napoleon the 3rd, the Emperor of France, who had a renal affection.
Waters of Caciulata Spring are similar to those from Evian, Vittel and Contrexeville.
The climate is mild, temperate-continental. The average temperature in July is 20 C and in January: -1.5 up to 2 C.
The annual humidity varies between 60 and 80%.
Natural curative factors
- Mineral waters with different concentrations, chemical content and temperatures.
- The hypo tone mineral waters contain: sulphury, chlorine, bromine, sodium, calcium and magnesium.
- Mild, temperate-continental climate.
- Digestive canal ailments (chronic gastritis and colitis)
- Hepato-biliary affections (biliary diskynesia, chronic cohlecystitis, post-operation liver disorders, chronic hepatitis and chronic pancreatic affections)
- Renal and urinary tract affections
- Metabolic and nutrition disease (diabetes, obesity)
- Inflammatory rheumatic affections (arthrosis)
- Peripheral neurological affections
- Breathing affections (allergic asthma, bronchitis, chronic trachea-bronchitis)
- Associated ailments (gynecologic, dermatological, cardiovascular, professional disease, asthenia).
Tourist attraction in resort:
- Cozia Monastery (founded by ruler Mircea cel Batran, in 1387). It is the most ancient and the most important architectural medieval art monument
- Ostrov Monastery founded by ruler Matei Basarab in 1500
- Arutela - Roman Walls ruins
Surroundings, tourist attractions
- Turnu Monastery founded by Bishop Varlaam in 1676
- Stanisoara Monastery
- Cornetu Monastery (original picture in fresco)
- Pons Vetus Roman ruins from Caineni
- Turnu Rosu Olt River Gorges, the longest gorge from the country (47km) digged in Capatanii, Lotrului and Fagaras Mountains
- Arnota Monastery from Costesti, founded by ruler Matei Basarab in 1663
- Ramnicu Valcea: Art Museum, Cetatuia Hermitage (painted by Tattarescu in 1853)
- Valcean Village Museum from Bujoreni (the church, the traditional houses and costumes)
- The Wooden Church from Albac (Horea`s church) brought in Olanesti in 1954
- Bistrita Monastery from Bistrita Village, built by Craiovesti land owners in 1491
- The Museum from Maldaresti (civil architectural monuments, fortress type)
- Trips to Valea Cheii and Cheia Stramba Mountain
- Trips to Cozia Mountains (17000ha natural reservation)
- The Olt's Songs" Folk Festival- in Calimanesti - Caciulata, every August
- Shepherds' Folk Festival called "To the Charmed Spring", every September, in Babenii commune
- Govora's Flowers Folk Festival, in Govora, every July
- The Strawberry Celebration in Govora, every May
- Romanian Costumes Round Dance Folk Festival, in Pietrari commune, every April
- Invartita Dorului (longing Romanian Round Dance), in Vaideeni commune, every June
- The Cock from Horezu Potters Fair, in Horezu, every June.
Arts and crafts
- Pottery in the centers from Horezu (ceramics with ivory-colored enamel) and from Vladesti (burned clay pottery, white-colored, decorated with green enamel and zoomorphic models
- Traditional Ethnographic Collection in Maladresti
- Brass Whistles made by famous handicraftsmen from Vaideeni commune.
Oltenian specialties: white sauce stew with corn mush, meat or rice stuffed tomatoes, Oltenian stew, Oltenian sausages, fish brine.